Tuesday, 1 September 2026

City Weekend

 

Last weekend, we took ourselves off on a short city break, which turned out to be somewhere quite unexpected. 

It even 'snowed' overnight.

The stores had been decorated for Christmas already.

There had been rumours of night time car chases but, thankfully, there appeared to be a heavy policy presence.

Although they looked inviting, the restaurants must have been closed, as they were completely empty.

And none of the taxis were running.

If you hadn't already realised, we were actually in Glasgow, which is currently being used as a filming location for the next Batman movie. It was incredibly exciting getting to see where the filming was taking place. Not so exciting was me getting some of the 'snow' in my shoes. It was, in fact, salt!




Of course the city has so much more to offer. We couldn't miss the Duke of Wellington statue, complete with not just one, but five traffic cones! We enjoyed wandering around the Gallery of Modern Art, which was so great. Even though I found myself just as fascinated by the coloured windows and the gorgeous stairwell, as in the art itself.  




Our next stop was the beautiful Botanic Gardens, where we were able to enter the huge glass houses, filled with the most gorgeous plants. There were so many to see, and I'm pretty sure we didn't manage to get around all of them. 



The gardens were just as beautiful, with the most colourful flower beds.  We walked along the river, where we were lucky enough to catch sight of a Kingfisher. A real treat, as it had been ages since I'd seen one. 






The following day we spent time walking farther around the city, admiring more of its stunning architecture. Unfortunately, as it was closed, we didn't get to go into the cathedral on this occasion, but we did manage to explore the Necropolis; a large, imposing Victorian Cemetery, filled with elaborate monuments and tombs. From there, we walked towards Glasgow Green, the oldest park in the city (I kept referring to it as Green Park - wrong city!) then back along by the river, returning to the city centre.

It was a really enjoyable weekend, and a much welcome distraction from the challenges I've been up against this year. The last few days have been taken up with health appointments, along with preparations for returning to work and school. I can't believe how quickly the holidays have gone, this year, and even though I'm looking forward to autumn, I'm not ready to let go of summer just yet. 

Back soon. 
J. X






37 comments:

  1. I must admit that Glasgow has never featured on my visit wish list but I have friends who go annually and love it. Your photos - esp of the art gallery and botanic gardens have just changed my mind! Have a very lovely Tuesday. Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a fantastic shopping destination. But the Botanic Garden was definitely a highlight for me. X

      Delete
  2. It's always fun to explore a new city and even more so when you can catch a glimpse of a film set. I haven't visited many places in Scotland, we should make an effort to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first ever visit to Glasgow, and I am looking forward to going again. X

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to see the city dressed for a film, very different from it's natural look, it's been over 20 years since we visited, your photo's show a beautiful city. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marlene. I'm looking forward to going back and exploring some more of the city. X

      Delete
  4. Yes, you did have me at first, till the empty cafes and snowy streets. I always wondered what was used when 'snow' was deployed as part of a film scene :)
    My sons partners are both have careers in education and the final days before returning to work you can see the pressure building up behind their eyes - hope your return to work is easy and kind to you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this instance it was definitely salt. And I'm pretty sure that I still have some in my shoes! It has been an incredibly busy and chaotic few days at work, but I'm sure things will settle down moving forwards X

      Delete
  5. It's good to have a break before getting back to the routine of school and work. Your photos of Glasgow are wonderful, the film set ones too. I enjoyed visiting many years ago and loved the atmosphere there it seemed like a vibrant city. I remember the Kelvin Grove museum, a lovely building:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed my visit, and I'd love to go back again to find out even more of what Glasgow has to offer. X

      Delete
  6. I was quite worried at first and then surprise...what a cool experience. Also this: after the filming locations, I recognized everything! Sigh, I miss Glasgow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a seriously cool experience! I might even watch the film when it comes out.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed Glasgow through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glasgow is now on my a places to visit list. It's a beautiful city isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your list is ever increasing - much like mine! X

      Delete
  9. I was a bit surprised to see an American flag in the first picture and wondered if you were in front of an American Embassy or something. Sounds like you had a lovely weekend away and thank you for sharing your pictures. I would have loved to have visited the Botanic Gardens. I hope that the start of work and school are going smoothly for you and Lily, both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt quite surreal, Bless. The flag was on the 'Office of the City Clerk'. There was so much detail, even down to the signs on the bins. X

      Delete
  10. Hello, my dear friend. Wow! I had no idea the new Batman movie was filming! I will have to show my kids! I am glad you had a nice trip. I pray for a good new school year, and for you for health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the film will be out in 2028!
      Work is equally busy and chaotic, but I think things will settle down moving forwards. Love and blessings at the start of your new school year. I can't believe how quickly the babies of our families are growing. X

      Delete
  11. How lovely to see Glasgow in the sunshine. My one and only visit was in teeming rain. Very exciting to see where the the new Batman film is being produced:) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were incredibly lucky with the weather for our visit, as it rains quite often up north :)

      Delete
  12. I’ve never been to Glasgow, it looks like a beautiful place. I’d spend hours in that botanical garden. As a massive Batman fan, Wow!!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gardens were fabulous, and I'm looking forward to visiting again in the future. The film set was very exciting to see. I've heard that locals had been trying to sneak cans of Irn-Bru onto the set! X

      Delete
  13. I am so glad you liked „my“ city. I love living here. Being a long time resident, I miss a lot of the action in town… like the filming of a new Batman movie for example! That‘a cool. I love the greenhouses, I spent much time visiting with all four children and now without them.

    I had some publishing issues on Blogger, I hope you have not several comments in our inbox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your city! And I did think of you while I was there :)

      Delete
  14. What a fabulous visit to Glasgow. I had heard about the filming for Batman, but wonderful to see these scenes..
    The Botanic Gardens, look so beautiful, your photographs are lovely.
    Its hard to believe we are now in September the year is whizzing by.
    Sending good wishes as you attend health appointments, and of course prepare to return to work and the new school term starting.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Botanic Gardens were really lovely, and definitely one of the highlights for me. But it was so exciting to see the film set - we timed our visit well!
      The year is flying by, and although it's beginning to look autumnal here, I haven't yet felt that sudden drop in temperature. X

      Delete
  15. It sounds like you picked a great time to visit Glasgow, with the filming of Batman. I have not visited the city myself but I would love the Botanical gardens and glass houses and you took some great photos on your short break.
    I hope your appointments have gone well and that returning to work will be ok for you. Take care, Jules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't have timed it better, Beverley. It was amazing to see.
      Work has taken over, as it is ridiculously busy just now. But things should, hopefully, settle down a bit in the coming weeks. Xx

      Delete
  16. Lovely weekend, enjoyed your photos very much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a magnificent place! Your photos are beautiful, dear Jules! Thank you so much for sharing this lovely tour! I hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a fantastic time there. And I'm looking forward to a return visit. Xx

      Delete
  18. What a great trip! and so exciting to see a film set :-) I must admit i've never seen any of the Batman films but the set looks amazing. Hope your first week back at work has gone well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie. Glasgow is a great city. And I've never been to a filming location before, so it felt very exciting. X

      Delete
  19. That looked like an amazing wknd. Actually off there in December to a Blossoms gig , hopefully will get to explore the city a bit too. Cool that you were visiting when a movie was being shot. X

    ReplyDelete