Friday 30 August 2024

Catch-Up

Despite the very best of intentions, I've been a bit rubbish about posting here lately, although I'm hopeful that will change, just as soon as autumn term begins and I'm back into some sort of routine once again. I can't think that by this time next week, Lily will have already completed three full days at secondary school. She seems ready for the challenge, even if I am not :)  She tried her uniform on earlier, and I'm happy to say it all still fits. She has, of course tried all the items on as we've bought them, just not everything at once. It's quite scary how grown up she looks.

I commented on Billie Jo's blog, earlier, that I am feeling a little mournful at summer's impending end, but this year it feels even more poignant. Changing seasons in every sense. I never particularly enjoy the slow transition between summer and autumn, waking up each morning never quite knowing what the weather will have in store. Summer has felt all too short here, this year. The evenings are becoming dark much earlier now and the morning air feels cool and fresh. 

Having said that, we've actually had a really lovely summer break.  Lake days have been fewer than in previous years, but the kayak has been a really great investment. Lily absolutely loves it. Our old camping stove still serves us well for boiling the water for our hot chocolate. 


I finally managed to make good on a promised walk up Red Screes. It was a beautiful evening, and the views were spectacular. 


In between days of decluttering and decorating the kitchen, we've enjoyed walking through the fields and seeing the sunflowers.


This year, my birthday was spent taking part in The Lakeland Festival of Light. 


We enjoyed a visit to Settle, to enjoy the Flowerpot Festival.




A lovely couple of days were spent in Hebden Bridge, staying in a beautiful apartment, right on the edge of the town. 
We spent a pleasant morning walking along the river at Hardcastle Crags.




And an afternoon walking along the canal. We loved seeing the narrowboats and imagined what it would be like to live on one. After much discussion, we decided against the idea :)



We called in at Howarth on the way home. Then stopped off at Skipton, for our lunch. Chips, eaten by the canal. 


We've foraged the first ripened blackberries. They've been washed, weighed and now stored in the freezer. Some of them will be used to make Blackberry Vodka, and the rest  will be used for compote, just as soon as I've got my hands on some elderberries.

This afternoon, I've spent some time in the garden. I've pulled weeds, cut the grass and washed out the bird box. This will be allowed to dry, then I will paint it again, before next spring. The pumpkins are still growing well, and there are plenty of potatoes and beetroot left for us to enjoy. It won't be long before I'm tidying it all, in time for the winter months. 

J. X

31 comments:

  1. Summer is ending far to soon this year, you have some lovely photos and memories, our children and grandchildren grow up so quickly., Marlene, Poppypatchwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer is always short, here, which is why I try and make the most of any warm, sunny days. X

      Delete
  2. I did enjoy seeing your photographs, a lovely collection and it sounds like you've had a good summer.
    I think the Settle, Flowerpot Festival is a lovely idea the flowerpot people do look good sitting on the bench :)

    Sending good wishes for Lily as she starts her new school next week, but before that enjoy the weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. A man from Settle was responsible for the creation of the NSPCC. Those flowerpots represent some of the children. X

      Delete
    2. Ah ... that's nice to know.

      All the best Jan

      Delete
  3. Summer might have felt short, to you, but, it looks like you packed in a lot of fun and relaxation along with redoing your kitchen! Best wishes to Lily as she starts on her new school year. Hope the transition to autumn is a gentle one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. The kitchen is still a work in progress, but it's almost there. You'd think, given it's small size, that it would be quick to do, but it's actually the opposite. It is so small that everything needs to be moved each time I paint anything.
      School starts tomorrow. I'll pass on your good wishes. Xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you've had a lovely summer break. Next week Lily will no doubt be full of tales about her new school and you'll wonder why you worried. Belated birthday wishes from me xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect summer despite the weather. Great photos of your trip away, I love that part of Yorkshire. Good luck to Lily for her first day at school. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, despite the weather, we have enjoyed a lovely summer, thanks Barbara. Xx

      Delete
  6. You have been busy, lovely photo's, I love how our blogs are our memories. The festival of light looks loads of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to be a part of The Festival of Light. Next year I might go and watch it from the other side of the lake. Xx

      Delete
  7. Although you feel summer has felt short, you've packed so much in. So many lovely outings and places you've been, creating lots of happy memories. Good luck to Lily for the coming week, it's been a pleasure to see a little of her childhood on your blog and I look forward to hearing about her new experiences as she embarks on this new chapter of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. At the moment, Lily is still looking forward to her first day. Xx

      Delete
  8. Oh my, what a beautiful part of the world! That Festival of Light looks heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay. It was great to take part in the event. X

      Delete
  9. I feel the samne - I'm just not ready to move into autumn yet but it can't be held back. Maybe we will have another mini-summer in late September. That would be nice.
    All the best to Lily - a big adventure and one I am sure she will triumph in. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather looks set to pick up here, later in the week - of course, once the children are back at school!
      Thank you, Joy. I really hope so. Xx

      Delete
  10. I hate the cold and wet of winter and I'm hoping for an Indian summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the cold, it's the gloomy, wet days that I don't like. X

      Delete
  11. What beautiful photos...and the Festival of Light looks like a stunning way to celebrate your birthday! I so wish we had such old and history-filled spot here to visit. I understand the somewhat sadness in changing seasons (as you say, in more way than one)...for me it was stronger as the kids went through advancing grades in school, it just felt more obvious. Even now, I feel it...my daughter is 24 and a ballet dancer, and my son, almost 21, a university Junior. I need to remember...all I can do is to enjoy the season I am in, and the time given to me...it's hard when there are "adult" worries - bills, deadlines, responsibilities, etc. on our minds. Jules know that you're doing a fabulous job creating sweet memories...I'm trying to follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Mary. Yes, seasons change and we move along with them. All we can do is try and appreciate every moment. Xx

      Delete
  12. I have often thought of Branwell Bronte when I drank in his local. Have you been to Top Withens? Smashing photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I imagine he would have been quite a character.
      I visited Top Withens during an earlier visit to Haworth, on a beautiful autumn day. You can read about it here https://alongthewaywithj.blogspot.com/search/label/Haworth

      Delete
  13. You packed so much into your summer holidays and shared so many special experiences with Lily. Wishing her every good wish for secondary school this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, my friend. I know exactly how you feel about summer ending and autumn beginning. I always said when my kids were younger that I loved the changing seasons, but I just wish they didn't get older each time! Your photos are lovely, as are your words that paint a picture of your cozy life. Prayers for a happy and healthy school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo. As I've got older, I've learned to love autumn. It's the slow fading away of summer that I struggle with. Xx

      Delete
  15. Just dipping a toe back into reading blogs. Wow Lily is at secondary school where did that time go? I do hope she has settled well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to 'see' you. In fact, I stopped by your blog, the other day, just to see if I had missed any of your posts. X

      Delete