Monday 16 September 2024

Enjoying the Last Days of Summer

 


Although the nights are drawing in rathers quickly now, I have still been making the most of these last summer days. If you've been reading here for a while now, you won't need any reminding of my need to soak up every last ray of warm sunshine before the colder  weather is here to stay. Winters here can be long and dark, and let's just say I'm not a fan of rain. 

I'm thrilled to say that Lily's first full week at secondary school has been a positive one. She certainly seems to have settled well, which has been incredibly reassuring for me. I'll find out more next week, when I get the opportunity to speak to her teachers at the open evening. 

My return to work has also gone smoothly, especially given that my my role was adjusted, literally the evening before I went back. I don't know why I was surprised by this, but I'll not get too comfortable, as it will, no doubt, change again before very long.


The last few weekends we've enjoyed spending some time at the beach. I had a yearning to breathe in the fresh sea air, and to feel soft, warm sand beneath my feet. 


One evening, we went to Blackpool to see the Illuminations. We kept with tradition, starting off with a fish and chip supper in Bispham, then we caught the tram along the promenade, towards the Tower. It was a lovely warm evening, and perfect for watching the amazing firework display, from our bench on the pier. I may have also treated myself to some freshly cooked doughnuts. Very sugary, very delicious :)


This week I've been resting, as much as possible, following an injection into my foot. I'm really hopeful this will help relieve the pain I've been experiencing, but only time will tell. To further help with this, I'm taking an extended break from running. Instead, I've started swimming once a week, in an attempt to keep my fitness levels up. 


I've finally got around to pickling some of the beetroot. There are still quite a few left to harvest, which I will try to do this week. 


And the pumpkins are ripening! Autumn is on the way. 🍂

J. X

18 comments:

  1. So pleased Lily has settled well in her new school. The Blackpool illuminations are wonderful aren't they. Your pumpkin looks magnificent ready for carving next month. I've been feeling the cold and even wore my Oodie last week! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this week will see the last of the warm sunshine, here. Autumn has one foot in the door. X

      Delete
  2. It's a while since we last went to Blackpool to see the illuminations, it's something we often did when the children were small. Oh yes, warm sugary doughnuts, delicious! It looks as though you'll be carving a homegrown pumpkin this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased with the pumpkins, especially as I've never grown them before. Xx

      Delete
  3. I hope you feel better soon, Jules.

    Pickled beetroot looks so good. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nil. So far, all the signs are positive, as I didn't have any pain yesterday. Xx

      Delete
  4. Nice to know that Lily has settled well in her new school.
    Lovely photographs from your Blackpool visit.
    I hope the injection into your foot works well and wish you well with your swimming.
    That pumpkin looks a good size :)

    Enjoy your days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I am looking forward to, eventually, getting back on the fells. Xx

      Delete
  5. So happy to know that Lily is settling in well at her new school. I hope your foot heals soon. Pickled beets sound delicious! And what a gorgeous pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I've already enjoyed some of the beetroot roasted, but I prefer it when it's pickled. I just need to wait a few weeks before I can eat some. Xx

      Delete
  6. Your photo's are stunning at capture the moment so very well. This time of year is always a relief when our children and grandchildren settle into the new school year. I hoped to pickle some homegrown beetroot, but they are still stubbonly small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite an adjustment settling into a new school year, and even more so, when it's a completely new school. Xx

      Delete
  7. It has been many years since I have been to Blackpool and enjoyed seeing the illuminations. Once my hubby retires next year there are lots of places we should revisit, I think. I'm glad Lily has settled well in to her new school and seems to be enjoying secondary school life. I hope work is ok for you too.
    Your beetroot looks delicious and reminds me that I should check out my small crop.
    Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley. Work is going okay, thank you, although it's probably going to take me some time to adjust to my new hours, even though they are much better for me.
      I hope you've got a good crop of beetroot. Xx

      Delete
  8. I'm delighted that Lily is happy in her new school. A weight off your mind, for sure.
    I really hope the injection will sort things out for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good on both counts, Joy. I'm thinking of trying out my 'new' foot on the fells, this weekend. Xx

      Delete
  9. Oh wow Lily is at Secondary school, where did that time go? I am glad to hear that she has settled well, I hope that continues for her, it is a big transition particularly if she has gone from a small village school to a large secondary which is so often the case in our area.

    Summer is having its last hurrah for us this week, I hope it is for you in your part of the county :)

    I am sorry to hear you have been having foot pain, I do hope the injections help with that in the long term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, where did the time go? I keep asking myself that. It is a big transition, especially as she'd had the same (amazing) teaching staff for the last two years. She did attend a village school, but it still had single year groups and there were thirty children in her class. I also think the transition might be a little less intimidating for her, seeing as she's already as tall as some of the year 11's :)
      I am loving summer's last hurrah, and I hope to find out how my foot will be on a longer walk, this weekend. Xx

      Delete