Wednesday 14 August 2024

At Home

 


It's funny that even though I have more time on my hands than usual, I'm finding it trickier to post. I think it's down to having less structure to my days, and little concept of real time. I'm struggling to remember what day it is. Not that I'm complaining, as that will all change in a few weeks, when school starts again for the autumn term. Just this once I have been remarkably well organised, and Lily has everything she needs to start secondary school, including the 'right' kind of bag and coat :)

Yes, I used the word 'autumn'. Although the days are still delightfully and most definitely summer, the evenings are becoming that little bit cooler and certainly darker. Along with my upcoming birthday, the middle of August also signals the arrival of late summer here. Rowan berries are beginning to turn a vibrant red and blackberries will soon be ripe enough for picking, but as always, I will be clinging on to my favourite season for as long as I possibly can.

This year, I have spent quite a bit of time de-cluttering the house. Whilst on my summer break, this has gathered pace and I am now noticing a significant difference. In the kitchen, all the cupboards have been emptied and sorted. Items that haven't been used for some time have been discarded - well, sent to the charity shop - and the walls have received a fresh coat of paint. It looks so much better already, but I will be giving it a second coat of paint tomorrow, then hanging my new blinds. I really need to put down some new flooring, but that might need to wait a couple of months. After that I will be starting on Lily's bedroom, but I will be fitting this in as and when I can. One step at a time.


Both cats have been spending a lot of time outdoors, enjoying the good weather. But at home, when she's not guarding my clean laundry, Mog has found herself a new sleeping spot, on top of Lily's (yet to be de-cluttered) toy box. Boo, on the other hand, has taken to sleeping on top of the hob! He is the sweetest cat, but certainly not the brightest.


The garden is beginning to looking a bit weary now, and although the hydrangeas are still looking fabulous, many of the flowers are past their best. I've already harvested and enjoyed some of the potatoes, and the beetroot will need pickling soon. The lemon trees are still doing well, and the experimental pumpkins are growing fast. Who knows, I might be carving a home grown one this Hallowe'en. 

J. X

36 comments:

  1. Aah…sometimes there is no better place than home…especially when it’s all clean and tidy! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, I never said it was clean and tidy, but it's a work in progress ;)

      Delete
  2. I love your cozy posts of home in your world, my friend. Enjoy, and Happy Birthday...soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home should be a cosy place to be. I need to give it a bit more love.
      Thank you, Billie Jo. Xx

      Delete
  3. I agree with you, there's definitely an Autumnal hint in the air, especially early mornings where I can catch a whiff of that peculiarly Autumn arome and dried leaves and smoke.
    And it is obviously darker in the mornings and evenings too.
    I rather love Autumn. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn gradually creeps up on us doesn't it. I do love autumn, but for some reason I often struggle with transitions between seasons. Xx

      Delete
  4. With your two furbabies there, home is the perfect place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're right, Marlene, but right now one of them is having great fun, knocking things off the top of Lily's bedroom drawers onto the floor! You can probably guess which one :)

      Delete
  5. Mog has found the perfect comfy spot! I'm not too sure about Boo's choice of a sleeping spot! You've accomplished a lot during this summer and that pumpkin is looking great! Happy Birthday; I hope you have a very special day on the actual day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I enjoyed a quiet birthday, but I did something that was really rather special. Xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Jules. I agree, there's a hint of autumn in the air that is for sure. It's 8pm here and it's almost completely dark. I will miss the longer, brighter evenings as we head into autumn. Both of your cats are so cute! And it would be so awesome to carve your own homegrown pumpkin for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels very autumnal here now. Especially yesterday, as it got dark so early. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we might be able to use our own pumkins this year. Xx

      Delete
  7. I'm just the same, I need some kind of structure to my day, even though I no longer work and I'm at home. Awww, Mog and Boo are so cute, they certainly know how to make themselves comfortable, even if it's not in the best of places. The pumpkin's looking good, fingers crossed that it's a home-grown Halloween this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy having a long summer break, but I always feel ready to get back into more structured days. Xx

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos and I love a bit of decluttering. I really need to get back to that, I'm trying to declutter something everyday. Enjoy the rest of your summer holiday... my favourite season - especially if it's sunny too. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. The decluttering has been long overdue. And I feel much 'lighter' because of it. Xx

      Delete
  9. I rather like unstructured days sometimes but you are right, it can be difficult to remember what day it is and what you have done on that day. I know exactly what I have NOT done but really (really) should do - sorting through our kitchen cupboards. My daughter used to keep the cupboards organised but now she is away from home, chaos has descended. I am glad to read that you managed to get everything ready for Lily's new adventure at secondary school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kitchen cupboards are always a challenge, but it feels great that I can now see exactly what's in them. My kitchen is very small, so just a small amount of clutter has a big impact on space. Xx

      Delete
  10. I agree - in summer when there’s less structure I lose track of the days too - and then I can’t believe it when the week is over. You’ve certainly been busy - decluttering is quite the job, but it feels so goof afterward. And the new blinds and paint will look terrific!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased to say, that the blinds are now hung. They do look good. I've just got the woodwork to paint and the floor to fit now. Xx

      Delete
  11. Hello, I'm stopping by to say thank you for your kind thoughts and condolences on Eddies passing.

    I do hope to get back to regular blogging soon.
    In the meantime, my thanks again to you.

    All the best Jan

    PS I enjoyed seeing your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely veg photos. Starting to plan what to grow through winter. Leeks, spring cabbage and Japanese onions sets are on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pumpkins appear to grow almost overnight. I've never thought to grow anything through the winter months before. X

      Delete
    2. Swiss chard is nice to grow through the winter. It's really pretty and great in winter salad or soup.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Cherie, I might just try that. Xx

      Delete
  13. Have been in the lakes ( or at the van anyway) for a week recently and there's definitely an Autumn feel in the air now. Let's hope we have some warmer weather next week before we head back to school.
    My previous cat Mrs Tibbs was once found sat on the toaster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toaster! Now that's quite an achievement. I'll assume it was a four slicer. Xx

      Delete
  14. It's Sharon from Sunshine+ Celandines by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guessed as much, when you mentioned the van :)

      Delete
  15. It has been a shock to realise that schools go back in a few days. That, plus noticing I need to draw the curtains at night, means Autumn has really swooped in before most of us are ready for it.

    Another vote for Swiss Chard - fairly simple to grow, very attractive and lovely to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, school doesn't start again here until next week. I think I'm almost ready to get back into some sort of routine, even though the weather looks set to improve then :)
      Thank you for your vote. It looks like I'll bel needing to dig up the remaining potatoes. Xx

      Delete
  16. It’s looking lovely in your corner. Well done on the painting and decluttering, it certainly gives a satisfying feeling when everything is tidy. I bet Lily is getting quite excited about September. Lots of changes to come. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt so good to have a thorough clear out. It will make it so much easier to decorate now.
      Lily is a little apprehensive, but also very excited to start her new school. Xx

      Delete
  17. D and I are decluttering again in our small corner and it is very satisfying. Amazing what a lick of paint can do to spuce things up. Glad Mog and Boo have been enjoying some summer sunshine recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decluttering has felt so great. Having the time in which to do it, meant that I could take the bags to the charity shop almost straight away, so I didn't have them hanging around the house, or taking up space in the boot of the car :)
      The kitchen already looks so much fresher and brighter. It will be great when I can sort out a new floor. Xx

      Delete