Thursday 30 May 2024

The Langdale Pikes

As is always the way, it was a relief to reach half-term week in one piece. I am very aware that I'm just about managing to keep going at moment, but that is all set to change, moving forwards. There are seven more weeks until the school's summer break, after which my hours will be reduced, and my working days will become shorter. As much as I am looking forward to feeling more in control of my time, it will also feel bitter sweet, as I will no longer be taking Lily to school each day. Another milestone reached, but how fortunate I am to have experienced these early years with her. 

Anyway, we're not there quite yet, but this week off school couldn't have been more welcome. I had, however, warned Lily that she wouldn't be enjoying a lie-in, that first morning. The weather looked good for Saturday, but rain had been forecast for the following  two days, and I didn't want to miss an opportunity to complete a walk, which had been suggested to me. 

Starting from one of the more popular areas of The Lakes, an early start meant we could avoid the crowds, as it can get incredibly busy here, especially on Bank Holiday weekends. 

It was a lovely sunny start to the morning, and on our first ascent we enjoyed regular stops to admire the views. It was a steep climb but it wasn't long before we could see our first summit of the day, Loft Crag. It took me a little while to figure out my bearings, but I was soon able to recognise the outlines of the more familiar fells around us. 

From here, we could see across to our next fell, Pike o'Stickle. And yes, we did need to use our hands as well as our feet on the final scramble to the top. I do enjoy a bit of variety on our walks :)

The next summit of the morning was Harrison Stickle. And this was where we encountered a rather large walking group. Not being used to busy summits, we quickly 'bagged' this one, before moving on towards the next, Pavey Ark. It was at this point that I realised, most people we came across were walking all the same fells, just in a different order. 

After a brief stop for lunch, there was a short walk over to Thunacar Knott, and then along a grassy stretch, to take in the views from High Raise. Here, we could see right across to the Western Fells, and Skiddaw and Bassenthwaite to the North. Again, we didn't hang around, the hiking group was approaching from the opposite direction!

From here, it was all downhill, with the exception of a brief detour to bag our final summit of the day, Sergeant Man. The path then dropped down towards Stickle Tarn, which boasts the impressive backdrop of Pavey Ark and Harrison Stickle, which we had climbed earlier, before descending Stickle Ghyll, and back to the car park. 

It was an invigorating walk, although the problems with my foot did cause me a lot of discomfort towards the end. Still, that's another seven Wainwrights ticked off, but more importantly, a very enjoyable day out on the fells. 

J. X

34 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, I feel as if I had done the walk myself! So grateful for the wonderful photos especially the one of Stickler Tarn. Your photos are always a joy. June

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, June. That's very kind of you to say. X

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you really needed this half term week off and what a wonderful way to start the week. Lovely photos as always xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! And for once, I have tried not to squeeze too much in to this time off. X

      Delete
  3. Lovely pictures, such stunning scenery. As ever, such a treat to read one of your posts, always a joy.
    Jill x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill. That's a lovely thing to say. Xx

      Delete
  4. Well done on completing another seven Wainwrights :)

    Fabulous photographs, the scenery is amazing and so was the weather.

    Enjoy the last day of May (tomorrow-Friday) and good wishes for the new month of June.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. We still have 99 more to climb :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos as always! Sounds like you had a lovely start to your week off! I hope you have good weather for the rest of the week, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. It has been mixed week of coursework and housework, but also some more enjoyable activities. Xx

      Delete
  6. What a fantastic achievement and those photos are just stunning. Thanks for taking us with you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful part of The Lakes, and an area I've not really explored before. Xx

      Delete
  7. You live in an absolutely beautiful part of the country! I hope that your foot isn’t causing you too much trouble and that you’ve had a lovely week. Sal😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My foot is causing me a lot of discomfort on longer walks. I need to get myself back to the podiatrist. Xx

      Delete
  8. Such stunning scenery, you always manage to capture the atmosphere of your walks so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. Although, it's not too difficult when the scenery is so beautiful. Xx

      Delete
  9. I love the Langdale Pikes. My doctor and her family are camping there this half term week - so the weather is interesting me. I do hope it was bearable with two junior school age children. It has been chilly here in the East.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely part of The Lakes. I hope your doctor and family enjoyed their trip. Its been a fairly mild week here, some rain, but mainly dry. Xx

      Delete
  10. Fantastic photos, Jules. The Langdale Pikes was the very first place we stayed at when we went on family holidays to the Lakes as kids. I remember a shop that reminded me of the Locals Things for Local People shop in Royston Vasey, the proprietor scared me and my brother senseless! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. It was the perfect day to capture some decent photographs. Xx

      Delete
  12. You put me to shame with all your energetic walks. The scenery is stunning. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scenery more than compensated for my discomfort. Xx

      Delete
  13. Wow, it looks amazing, Jules. Those clouds! Sorry to hear that your foot is sore. I hope it heals quickly. These things take longer as we age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephenie. It was a beautiful day. Xx

      Delete
  14. Wow thats some walking, I need totally flat ground to walk, so admire you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first climb was the hardest, but we, of course, needed to keep stopping to 'admire the view' ;)

      Delete
  15. Jules, you truly live in such a beautiful place! The scenery is stunning. Thank you for taking us along with you. Hope you are having a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. I never take it for granted. It is a beautiful part of the world. Xx

      Delete
  16. You do really have such wonderful places to enjoy walking with Lily. A lovely way to enjoy half term together. Photos are stunning. Thank you for sharing them, Jules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley. It really is a beautiful part of the world. X

      Delete
  17. My early years were spent in the hills of Wales and I didn't visit The Lakes until I was in my teens. The first visit was a school trip to The Langdale Pikes. From that moment I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Langdales is a beautiful part of The Lakes, so I can see why you would be hooked. I'm looking forward to exploring some more. X

      Delete