Sunday 26 May 2024

A Taste of Summer


It's that time of year again. One moment I'm liberally applying sunscreen, then the next I'm trying to convince myself not to switch the central heating on. I've held off so far. It's still very warm, but it's raining heavily here, this afternoon. I'll probably just stay home and bake cookies :)

Recently, we celebrated a birthday in this house. Lily turned 11! I'm still in denial that she has reached this age, and that she will very soon be leaving primary school. I'll be honest in that I have very mixed emotions about this, but she seems to be looking forward to her transition to high school. We're on half term this week, but after that there will only be seven more weeks until she finishes. It will go by quickly, of that I have no doubt, then hopefully we can enjoy a relaxed summer break. 

Fortunately, Lily's mid-week birthday coincided with a whole class trip out, so it became a sort of mini celebration for her, which, for someone who dislikes being the centre of attention, worked out rather well. 

The following weekend, we marked the occasion in our own way. Having racked my brain for a suitable birthday gift, I finally decided on something I had been considering for several years now - an inflatable kayak. It wasn't the most exciting thing to unwrap on the morning of her birthday, as we couldn't exactly inflate it in our living room, but it proved to be one of the best things she could have received.

On the Sunday morning, and with big sister to lend a hand, we set off to one of our favourite parts of The Lakes, Ullswater. And we couldn't have chosen a nicer day for it.
 

It was beautifully quiet, and the views are spectacular. You can see why we love it there so much. 

Once the kayak was inflated, which was far quicker than I'd anticipated, the morning was spent gently floating along the lake. Paddling wasn't too difficult, as the water was so very calm. I even considered enjoying a quick swim while we were there, but after wading in until the water was up to my waist, I thought better of it. The water is still very cold at this time of year and I didn't relish the thought of the drive home while wearing a wet swimsuit. And I also need to buy some new water shoes - the stones can be rather painful, and they are slippery to stand on when getting in and out of the lake. Still, there will be other opportunities before long, I hope.




J. X


30 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Lily! What an inspired idea for a present. I hope last week's glorious weather returns very soon and she can get lots of pleasure from the kayak. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix. I keeping everything crossed for a long, hot summer. Xx

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant idea for a gift! It seems the older they get, for me at least, it’s hard to find fun gifts – that one was a terrific idea and you can enjoy that time together! I understand those mixed emotions – and even with mine in college I’m dragging my feet while watching the changes - I know it’s how it’s supposed to be, and so my goal is to enjoy every moment and have as much laughter as I can possibly squeeze into the days😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly seems pleased with the kayak, Mary. And it's far better than something that gets put in a cupboard, simply to be forgotten about. Xx

      Delete
  3. Eleven? No wonder you are in shock - where has the time gone? Fabulous birthday present though, and I am sure you will both get loads of use & pleasure from it in the coming months.

    If it is any consolation I lit the woodburner last night. I might repeat the experience this evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shock or denial, I'm not sure which. It also means that I'm not getting any younger!
      I don't blame you for lighting the woodburner. It still gets rather chilly in an evening. Xx

      Delete
  4. Looks like a good time was had by all! Belated birthday wishes Lily! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many happy birthday wishes for Lily.
    Those cakes look tasty and I like the candles.

    Ullswater looks beautiful.
    Wishing you happy times kayaking.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I made chocolate crispies, as Lily doesn't eat cake.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to Lily, it looks such a lovely day for the Kayak. My uncle got my family all into dingy 'fun' when I was a child. I wasn't that keen on it, my brother and I could fit in together. My parents couldn't swim properly, so it was always a hazard. Still, it was fun hanging out with the cousins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not overly confident in open water, but we would never head out without our buoyancy aids. It often surprises me how many people don't bother to wear them. X

      Delete
  7. What an amazing present. A very Happy Birthday to Lily and have a lovely last half term at primary school before the next big adventure . . . xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that this last half term will fly by. Xx

      Delete
  8. Wishing Lily a belated happy birthday. Yes, the years fly by, don't they. That is such a fabulous gift, something which can be enjoyed over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. We're looking forward to spending a lot of time at the lake, this summer. Xx

      Delete
  9. What a lovely present - and seeing it on the Lake with all that blue sky and a nice 'flat' surface on the water and those delicious cakes - sounds and looks like a perfect day. Happy Birthday Lily and enjoy your new school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The conditions were perfect for our first time out in the kayak. And I never tire of those views. Xx

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday to Lily! What a wonderful birthday present! Those changes come quickly don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. They grow far too quickly, don't they. Xx

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday to Lily!! What a fantastic birthday gift you gave her! Something she will enjoy for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to Lily!!!! I know the feelings you have about her growing older. The years fly by. I was just thinking that Madison is the age now that I was when I had her! Perfect birthday gift! Have a cozy evening, and a wonderful week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo. I would quite like to press the pause button. I'm not quite ready for the teenage years. Xx

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday Lilly, I hope you have a great year ahead.
    What a fantastic birthday gift, perfect for someone who spends a lot of time enjoying the beautiful Lakes near your home. Love the Smarties cupcakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley. I really hope she gets plenty of use out of the kayak. I think we'll venture farther out, next time. Xx

      Delete
  14. Belated birthday wishes to Lily. What a great gift for her and I'm sure she will have many more happy days spent kayaking on the lake xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to Lily. A brilliant present with the potential of lots of lovely times out on the water. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shazza. I would have been happy to spend more than I did, but this kayak had some great reviews. I can thoroughly recommend it. Xx

      Delete