Thursday 25 July 2024

Castleton

 


At the weekend, we packed our bags and set off for Derbyshire. I'm not certain why I decided it would be a good idea to go away so soon after finishing for the summer, but I keep thinking back to when we were fortunate enough to have visited Sycamore Gap, just a few short weeks before the tree was felled. It has given me a more 'seize the day' attitude. Not that I suspect Mam Tor will be disappearing anytime soon, but you never know.

Having looked at various options, I had booked into the Youth Hostel in Castleton, which is conveniently situated right at the beginning of our walk, and had ample free parking. Better still, there are sheep! Almost as soon as we arrived (it was too early for us to check in), we set off along the track and up the steep slope of Lose Hill. It was perfect weather for walking, mild and with a gentle breeze, and plenty of others clearly felt the same, as it was quite busy up there. After a brief sandwich stop, we then walked right along the ridge to the summit of Mam Tor. There were many more people at this point, because from here Mam Tor can be more easily accessed along a short track, directly up from the road, which is ideal if you want to be able to enjoy the views for a lot less effort.



From here we dropped back down towards the road, passing the Blue John Cavern and on towards Winnats  Pass, which we had driven over on our journey to Castleton. There appears to be  a lot of caverns in this area, Lily's favourite being Peak Cavern, because it is also known as the Devil's Arse!

From here, our route took us through the village, and back to the Youth Hostel, where by this time we were able to check in and go to our room. Tired from our walk, we decided to eat at the hostel that evening, then I had a wander around the grounds and made friends with a goat :)


After a good night's sleep, we enjoyed a delicious cooked breakfast, which set us up for the morning. Our next stop was Chee Dale, and a circular route, which took us a short way along the Monsal Trail, down into a limestone gorge, where we walked across large stepping stones, then back again through some old railway tunnels.










Everywhere was looking especially lush and verdant. The paths were a bit slippery in places, and I got my hands quite muddy, trying to steady myself, while navigating some of the rocks. But thankfully, the stepping stones were quite solid, so at least I didn't need to worry about getting my feet wet.
It was lovely to see all the wildflowers attracting plenty of pollinators, and we even spotted a large heron wading through the water.

J. X





20 comments:

  1. It's such a beautiful area and so many lovely villages in the vicinity too. I think you have to seize the day in the UK, it could be torrential rain again before we know it, fingers crossed it stays sunny for the summer now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is beautiful there. I had wanted to go back to Derbyshire, since our visit, last October. And of course, Mam Tor can now be crossed off my list :)

      Delete
  2. Definitely do things when the opportunity arises. I like your photo of the goat. I've read about the stepping stones and tunnels before, it wouldn't be for me but glad you managed them without getting your feet wet xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get, the more often I seem to be seizing the day :)
      I imagine the riverside path would actually be challenging for a lot of people. The Monsal Trail itself, however, makes for a lovely walk. Xx

      Delete
  3. WOW! What fantastic pictures you got. Wish I had been able to visit that area when I was in the UK last summer. Gorgeous and then some. I hoped in from a mutual friends blog. It's always fun to meet new bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment, Sandy. It's always nice to see new visitors. Xx

      Delete
  4. A wonderful start to summer break! What pretty hikes/walks!! You are right - everything is so lush!! Hope more fun opportunities come along for you to seize the day on:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. We had a really enjoyable stay. Xx

      Delete
  5. You've certainly enjoyed a nice start to the summer break.
    Lovely photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you were ready to make the most of your summer break! Lovely photos and as you said, everything looks lush and green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe just how green it looked there. It is a beautiful part of the country.
      In hindsight, it was good to get away, before I started painting the kitchen :)

      Delete
  7. We stayed in Hope about 25 years ago. You brought all the wonderful country scenery back to us. Super photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dave. It's really beautiful in that area. I expect that I'll be back again, next year. X

      Delete
  8. Beautiful pictures. We just love Derbyshire and walking in the countryside, it's soo good for a feeling of peaceful wellbeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely there, isn't it. I'm sure we will visit again soon. Xx

      Delete
  9. A beautiful area to visit and enjoy, Jules. Everywhere looks so bright and verdant in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chee Dale is beautiful. So peaceful. Xx

      Delete
  10. Haven't really been to the Peak District. But see bloggers photos all the time. I really should go. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same. Having seen photographs online, we first stayed in the Peak District last year. You should go :)

      Delete